Gulu District Health Department has reactivated its Ebola Taskforce and Surveillance following the fresh outbreak of Ebola virus in the country.
A 24-year-old man infected with the virus died on Monday in Mubende district in a fresh outbreak confirmed by the Ministry of Health on Tuesday.
The case of the relatively rare Sudan strain was confirmed by the Virus Research Institute. Uganda last reported an outbreak of the strain in 2012.
William Onyai, the Gulu District Health Educator who also doubles as the coordinator Risk Communicator, said the Task Force has been reactivated following the fresh outbreak, asking members of the public to be vigilant and report suspected cases.
Emmanuel Ainebyoona, the Senior Communication Officer Ministry of Health said, the Health Ministry has embarked on contact tracing to contain the virus and also planning to do verbal autopsy to investigate the death of six people who died from Mubende Hospital last week with signs and symptoms of the virus.
Ebola outbreaks have occurred in Uganda in 2000, 2007, 2011, 2012) and the largest documented outbreak occurred in 2000–2001 in Gulu District, registering 425 cases and 224 deaths.
The virus is transmitted to people from wild animals and spreads in the human population through human-to-human transmission.