PRESS STATEMENT ON ARRANGEMENTS FOR BURIAL OF THE SPEAKER OF PARLIAMENT, RT. HON. JACOB OULANYAH 22nd MARCH 2022
BY BABIRYE MILLY BABALANDA, MINISTER FOR THE PRESIDENCY
Fellow Ugandans, as we continue to mourn our brother and friend, the Speaker of the 11th Parliament of Uganda, Rt. Hon. Jacob Oulanyah, who passed away in Seattle, USA, on Sunday, March 20, 2022.
I wish; as the Chairperson of the National Organizing Committee (NOC) for the burial arrangements, to update you as follows;
- The final burial program will be released after election of a new Speaker of Parliament. The process of electing a new Speaker is ongoing.
- The sub-committees of the National Organizing Committee, are going ahead to plan for activities of a befitting send-off as directed by H.E. the President of the Republic of Uganda.
- Security remains of great importance as we mourn the late Jacob Oulanya. As you are aware, burial will involve several activities which are sensitive; given the status of the late. Accordingly, the Minister in-charge of Security Rtd. Maj. Gen. Jim Muhwezi alongside the Inspector General of Police will brief the public on the planned security arrangements during the mourning period.
- In addition to the above, in consideration of the threat of Covid-19, access to the State Funeral Service at Kololo Ceremonial Grounds will be by invitation and the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) will be strictly observed. In my next briefing, I will give you the approved number of mourners who will be allowed to access the venue.
- All the burial activities involved in the send-off will be relayed live on the National Television.
- As Chairperson of the National Organizing Committee, I have delegated Hon. Hillary Onek to work with the Ministers from Acholi sub-region to engage with the cultural and political leaders in Acholi for their input in the burial arrangements.
I have personally spoken with the father of the deceased, Mzee Nacan Okori Adiyo and the Paramount Chief of Acholi, Rwot David Onen Ocana who both expressed willingness to work with government in order to have this befitting send off.
As you aware, Rt. Hon. Oulanyah was a Member of Parliament (MP) representing the people of Omoro and very much celebrated in Acholi.
- The leadership of the Parliament of Uganda is fully in charge of managing mourners at both homes of the deceased i.e. in Muyenga, Kampala and at the ancestral home in Omoro where he will be buried. Parliament has identified service providers to this effect.
- I appeal to the public to be calm during this trying time. Rt. Hon. Jacob Oulanya was a man of peace, a unifier and a statesman who worked for stability and transformation of this country. I call upon all Ugandans to promote unity and
continue praying for him.
- Finally, I wish to assure all Ugandans that Government of Uganda under the leadership of H.E Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, who has been a close friend, will accord the deceased a funeral befitting of his status and legacy.
- Flags will continue flying at half-mast all over the country until the mourning period is concluded.
- I will coordinate with the Minister for Information, Communication Technology and National Guidance, Hon. Dr. Chris. Baryomunsi; to give you continuous updates on the burial arrangements.
I wish to end this statement by once again expressing my deepest sympathy and a message to comfort the family of the late Jacob, the relatives and all the friends spread all over the world upon this very big loss. Uganda has indeed lost a great
May the soul of Rt. Hon. Jacob Oulanyah rest in eternal peace!
BABIRYE MILLY BABALANDA, MINISTER FOR THE PRESIDENCY/ CHAIRPERSON, NATIONAL ORGANISING COMMITTEE